09 May New Tobacco Free Events Guidance Published by World Health Organisation
The World Health Organisation (Western Pacific Region) has recently published new recommendations on the staging of tobacco-free events, with a special focus on ‘mega-events’ such as the Olympic Games. The recommendations and ‘ready to use’ tools and materials are aimed at events organisers, governing bodies and host cities, and are designed to make events truly tobacco free.
The guidance offers a more comprehensive position than smoke-free policy currently adopted by many European stadia, including: the banning of all tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship; banning the sale of tobacco products (or related products) within an event site; and, information, education and training of the public concerning the harm of tobacco products. Materials contained within the guidelines include:
- A sample policy for tobacco-free events
- Tools to ensure venues are tobacco-free e.g. examples of signage
- Enforcement strategies, including staff and volunteer training
- Banning advertising and sale of tobacco products
- Recommendations for policy review and evaluation